Wednesday, September 19, 2012

That time I bought half a kilogram of green beans...

Today is Wednesday meaning it's Market Day on Domplatz! Muenster has a massive Markt (market) from 8-2:30 on Wednesdays and Saturdays...this is what I've been waiting for!!!! Heidelberg had a market but it was super small and I think only once a week when I had class.  I remember visiting Mollie in Lyon and we all went to the market on Sunday and I was super jealous, but now I've got my own!  I think I'll make Wednesday my Markt-Tag, because I get done with class at 12:30 and can just pop over and do some shopping.  The title of this post though, refers to the half a kg of green beans I just bought... I actually want to cook a proper meal tonight, but when I went to the store yesterday I could only get tomatoes- couldn't find any green beans.  But of course they have them at the market!  I always forget that a kg is more than a pound- so now I've got a huge hunk of green beans!  That's okay though- I'll find a use for them.

the beautiful Dom overlooking the market

Markt!

 
That's a lot of green beans...
Also above you can see that I couldn't resist the strawbs even though I still had some sitting in the fridge at home.  As the day goes on, the prices go down so these were 2 Euro down from 2,50.  And in Europe, they're actually a normal size!

I had two more classes today- I'm still in the first week so I haven't really done much except introduce myself to the classes and just sit in and observe.  This morning I had the 6th grade English class, which was so much fun- I loved it!  When Herr Zelzner told the class I was from America, they all that was the coolest thing ever.  The kids are working on making dialogues, so I got to go around and help some of the pairs with their grammar as well as get to know the kids a bit.  The kids are only 11 so obviously there's a lot of German going on in the classroom, but it's fun to switch back and forth between the languages with them.  Also, at that age they're just so eager and excited- it's absolutely adorable.

Next I had an 11th grade class but they're still in the introduction class for English (not the equivalent of German or Spanish or French 1 for us Americans... they've already had many years of English, but this is the introduction course of learning actual subject matter auf Englisch, rather than just learning the language itself).  The introduction course can be for 9th, 10th, or 11th graders, and since these were the 11th graders, they've elected not to take their Abitur (the German test required for admission to University) in English, so none of them are very excited about English and just seemed really bored.  It was almost funny to go from the excited 5th graders to the couldn't-care-less 11th graders.  But that's school, right?!

The sun is ACTUALLY shining in Muenster today, so I'm going to take advantage and go for a run!

No comments:

Post a Comment