Sunday, September 16, 2012

I'm gonna make this place your home...


Orientation flashback- me, Matt, David, and Brian gettin' our draaank on




This blog title refers to the new single by Phillip Phillips called "Home."  (Thanks to Marianne for sending it to me!)  So, as titled, one of the lyrics is "I'm gonna make this place your home."  And that's just what I was thinking this Sunday afternoon in Muenster- my fourth day here in this city.  It was an absolutely GORGEOUS day- a perfect seventy degrees and a blue sky- and since it's a Sunday and this is Europe, everything is closed, meaning every German is outside walking around.  I did a run along the Aasee and took a break just to lay in the grass and it was just glorious.  So much of this city reminds me of Heidelberg- the Aasee is so similar to the Neckarwiese, and the Altstadt is very similar, with the two main churches...

Above is a view of the city and the Aasee (lots of sailboats!) from the first bridge- as in Heidelberg, I run along the paths and depending how far I want to run that day, I pick a different bridge!  Anyways, there is so much to explore around this city- so many places to discover and of course, I still need to find my favorite bar!

Altstadt


I got introduced to my school on Friday- got a tour of the building and met a bunch of the teachers, they're all super friendly and nice.  First day of actual work tomorrow!  Then my Betreuunglehrerin (mentor teacher) took me to open a bank account and register at the city.  I still need to register at the Uni though, and get my visa issue squared away.

Mom was here yesterday for the afternoon.  She was in Brussels and Frankfurt for work, and with Frankfurt being only a few hours away by train, it worked out that she was able to pop up for a few hours.  Anne (my mentor teacher) took us around for a couple hours and showed us the main sights of the city and gave us some good history- I was glad she offered to do that, because being here not even a week yet, it was informative for me as well!  Then we had a nice lunch and did some shopping- had to get a decent jacket for the weather here and a giant scarf that covers my entire face, because oh Lord, Germans and their scarves... But then of course I get this new jacket and then it's finally warm and not raining today- not complaining though!

Said tschau to mom, and then went over to Rae's (one of the ETAs from England) for a little predrinking with all the ETAs in the Muenster area.  There's about ten from England, one from Scotland, one from Wales, a girl from Canada, and then me and Kory from the States.  It's interesting because all the UK ETAs do their year in the middle of University, so they're all 20.  But we all met each other and of course are instantly friends because we're the only English-speakers in the city, at least until the University students get here.  After hanging with the Irish all summer as well, I was able to get a lot of the UK lingo and banter with them quite well !

Out to some German clubs... Germans and their clubs.  You just can't even explain it.  We ended up at a Heavy-Metal club around 2am... does any of us enjoy heavy metal?  I'd say not particularly.  But hey, when in Rome! It was my first proper night out in Germany...I think I'm getting a bit old for it all though, maybe?!  And now gonna be hanging around these 20 year olds.......nahhhh.

Tonight, my flatmate, Karim, had his friend over- they're both originally from Casablanca and they made couscous for dinner.  It was in this giant wooden bowl and then everyone eats out of it- and they invited me to eat with them out on the balcony- so delicious!



It was such a lovely evening to be outside enjoying a lazy Sunday, as the Europeans love to do.  It was also just funny to think that it was an American, and two originally from Morocco- all sitting in German and conversing in German.  The world has just become so connected!  As an International Studies major, I obviously eat that stuff up.

My news has come to a close, but let me just say Bon Voyage to my dear friend, Mollie!  She's on the plane as I type, flying to Paris to start her own ETA year in Montpelier! Can't wait to go visit her :)

We are just too similar...







No comments:

Post a Comment