Monday, September 24, 2012

Es regnet...again.

At the end of my last blog post, I wrote that it was actually sunny so I was going to take advantage of that and go for a run.  Well, halfway through, I got stuck in a downpour that lasted for about an hour.  After I got home and showered, the sun was back out and the sky was blue.  About an hour later, it was thunderstorming.

Today hasn't been much different- there was a projected high of 70 with rain showers all day.  It never hit 70, but the rain showers did in fact come...again, while I was out for a run.  And again, after my shower, the sun came out and I thought we were finally done for a bit.  Nope!  It's been since a few hours and it is thunderstorming and pouring rain again.

I'm realllllly trying to look on the bright side here, though I'm having trouble finding it (haha get it?) For those that know me well, they are very aware that I do not do well without sunshine, and that unfortunately, my mood is very reflective of the weather.  It's ironic that I love Boston so much, since it's one of the coldest areas in the country, when I am obsessed with the beach, sunshine, and heat.  Right now, Münster's weather is worse than Boston's- especially obvious since September-November are arguably Boston's most beautiful months, and the problem is, I am not in love with Münster as I am with Boston.

A rather pessimistic outlook and post, I know.  It's just bothersome to leave the house for the day prepared for 70 and sunshine, 60 and wind, or 50 and thunderstorms....especially when your mode of transportation is a bike.  Germans are very attuned to these weather patterns, hence why they all wear layer upon layer upon layer no matter how warm it is... I however, am not quite there yet.

Here's a nice snippet from the Münster Wikipedia page...


"A well known saying in Münster is "Entweder es regnet oder es läuten die Glocken. Und wenn beides zusammen fällt, dann ist Sonntag" ("Either it rains or the church bells ring. And if both occur at the same time, it's Sunday."), but in reality the rainfall with approximately 758 mm per year is close to the average rainfall in Germany.[18] The impression of Münster as a rain-laden city depends not on the absolute amount of rainfall but on the above-average number of rainy days with relatively small amounts of rainfall. The average temperature is 9.4 °C with approximately 1500 sun hours per year.[18] In terms of this figure, Münster is in the bottom fifth in comparison with other German cities. The winter in Münster is fairly mild and snow is rare. The temperature during summertime meets the average in Germany."

I've been in Münster not even two weeks yet but I already understand the rain-laden city part, and how there is little rainfall, it just happens a lot.  But I was a bit sad to read that this city ranks in the bottom 20% for sunshine in Germany.  Guess this means I will just have to find something else to cheer me up!  Let the quest begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment