Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Smell of Summer

It's here. Summer is HERE. Yes, I realize that the summer season doesn't actually start until June 20th or 21st which is more than a month away...but I SMELLED IT! You know how people can always smell when fall starts? That comforting smell of wood burning, and the leaves falling, and that feeling of the crisp air? Definitely one of my favorite smells... But it doesn't always mean that it's the start of fall--it usually takes a month into the season to smell that. Well it's the same with summer--but it starts earlier. Being in a German dorm, I've got no air conditioning so we just always have all the windows open. I walked into the bathroom just now and was greeted by the smell of summer wafting through the open window. It's a harder scent to explain than that of fall...but it's just kind of a fresh scent with a warm breeze--it differs from the smell of a warm spring day though because along with this smell is a feeling of relaxation--a summer feeling. This smell brings a feeling of relaxation I think because the air is a bit more humid, a bit heavier, and all you want to do is just be outside and let the sun soak into your skin.

I realize nothing I'm writing makes any sense, but it's just been a weekend of such glorious weather, and I am so excited for summer to come (though I'll still be in classes for all but a month of it...) and it is finally coming! I used to never mind winter, and was fairly neutral about summer, but this past winter I suffered an extreme case of the winter blues, even though winter was very mild in DC this year. I was so tired of being cold and having to bundle up, and even convinced mom to take a vacation to the Caribbean just to return to the sun. Spring would be a welcomed visitor then, you'd think, but because of my debilitating allergies, I literally count down the weeks until plants stop blooming. Words cannot describe just how excited I am for the summer season.

No comments:

Post a Comment