Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Walking On Sunshine....Finally!

Once in what seems like a blue moon these days, I write a happy post- and here it is!

Many of you know that after weeks of phone woes, I FINALLY have a new working phone!  I ordered a used 3GS off Amazon which came about a week later- I rushed to the phone store before it closed and when the guys put the SIM card in it, it said it was unrecognizable and told me to go to the Apple reseller store across the street.  So there I went and the guy tried fiddling with it, looking quite puzzled, until he finally told me there had to be a problem with the phone because it wouldn't even connect to wifi.  Extremely frustrated, I returned home in a sour mood.  Got back on Amazon and requested all the details to return it and calmed myself down and ordered another one.  This one came from within Germany, so only took two days and again, I opened the box, inserted the SIM card that I had already paid for into the phone, so very hopeful.  Well, the phone worked... but when I hooked it up to my iTunes and saw flashing messages before me informing me that the software didn't support basically any apps, I realized I had been a complete idiot and in my fury overlooked the fact that I had ordered a 3G and not 3GS.  Feeling so dumb, I packed it up again and tried yet again- decided to suck it up and just get a used 4 which was quite a bit more expensive, but at least I absolutely knew it would support everything.  During a break at work today I went to the post office and sent off the two phones and hopefully there will be no issues with getting the refunds on them, and I came home to my 4- held my breath and crossed my fingers as I inserted the SIM and connected it to my iTunes and boom! SUCCESS! FINALLY! Everything works, the phone doesn't look like it's ever been used, and I am happy again.  I realize I sound like such a pathetic dud openly admitting on my blog that I became happy because I have a working iPhone again, but it was seriously wicked hard the last nearly three weeks not being able to get in touch with my friends easily, and just get cheered up with snap chats and being able to share my experiences by instagramming and my thoughts by tweeting.  I admit, I'm one of those people that's attached to my phone, but it just really helps me a lot in Germany, when I am so often just hanging out by myself and not constantly surrounded by people as I normally am at home.

Another reason I'm walking on sunshine though is that the sun seems to be here to stay!  While the rest of the country is dealing with the worst floods in recent history, northwestern Germany has had a streak of sunshine and it seems to be here to stay, at least for the week, which is a record if I've seen one in the last ten months!  I opened the weather app for Münster and there is sun predicted EVERY SINGLE DAMN DAY.  I'm serious- I've never seen that.  Even this morning, I got up and left for school around 7:20 and it was gray and cold- I was even wearing my Northface fleece, but when I left school at 2:00 it was 70 degrees with a blue sky.  Rae left this afternoon to go back to England, and while she was packing up her final stuff, I sat out on her balcony just staring at the blue sky, literally in awe and shock and bewilderment at a sky a color that has been so foreign to me.  Luckily, the goodbye with Rae wasn't bad since I'll be seeing her in one month minus one day when she comes to America for two weeks!  After she got on the bus, I headed to the bike shop to pick up my bike- I was trying to pump up the front tire the other day and ended up deflating the whole tire and broke off the little part you need to put air in it... with only three and a half weeks left, I was tempted to just leave it but when I'm getting up for the first lesson at work, those ten extra minutes I can sleep in are worth it, I decided this morning when my alarm went off at 6:50 instead of 7:00.  I needed a whole new front tire, but luckily that only cost 15 Euro and that's the only time I've had to pay for anything regarding the bike since I bought it in September, and now when I ride it, I don't feel like it's going to fall apart underneath me, which is a plus :)

And, yet another happy announcement- NICK IS COMING TO VISIT!!!!!!!!!  He's flying standby so I've no idea when he'll actually be here but I assume it will be sometime on Thursday and we're going to have NSLF Münster and then go up to Hamburg to stay with Paul!  I haven't seen Nick since Commencement Day last year and this will be one of the happiest moments ever.... except when I see how tan he is after living in Hawaii all year and how pale I am after living in Germany all year... damn.  But yes- so unbelievably excited and his visit honestly couldn't have come at a better time.

On another note, I can't believe I'm admitting this, but I created an OKCupid profile.  I actually know quite a few people, both at home and over here that have made one because it's free, so I said, eh, why not?  And actually, the couple Mollie and I stayed with when we went to Paris had met on OKCupid...but maybe they're the exception ;) Ha.  Anyways, my plan was to create it and be able to think about the questions and whatnot and then activate it when I got back home... but I couldn't figure out how to make it private, so that didn't work so I had to literally write on there that I live in Germany.  And what's worse, is that it currently says I'm in Virginia... but I'll only be there for just over one month before I move to Nashville.  So... yeah.  And then I'll be in grad school anyways and I'll be meeting new people anyways.  I just wanted to see what the hype was about- and honestly I don't see it.  I guess that kind of service and outlet is really good for people who have weird jobs and can't meet people easily or just aren't good at meeting people, but I'm really really good at meeting people, so honestly, this whole online thing kind of makes me a little uncomfortable.  I was thinking though that as hard as it's gonna be to adjust back to American life and culture after I've not just gotten used to German culture, but really become a part of it (I saw myself standing practically next to someone in line at the grocery store today, instead of miles behind them as we would do in America and I thought to myself, uh oh... can't do this when I'm back...), anyways I realized that it's going to be kind of cool to go back and meet new people, because I've got this thing to talk about that's just really cool and really different!  Like- I lived in another country for the last year, teaching in a school.  Even when I went and visited Vandy and I met people and they asked the normal questions, I was like "Umm...I live in Germany right now, just popped back over here for a week..." and the reactions I got from that were always full of interest.  So, point is, I'm going to be kind of awkward when I get back since Germans are pretty quirky, but I'll also have this whole closet of amazing and different and notable and even depressing and disheartening experiences to share with new people I meet, and that's already one thing to look forward to about going back- being able to share all of that! (Sorry--the way that the OKCupid thing applies to that last thought is that I didn't really realize that I would be "interesting" when I got back to America until people started messaging me things about Germany and such.)

So that's about it for now.  I'm wicked tired since I got up so early and now it's nearly midnight and THE SUN MUST'VE JUST DRAINED ALL MY ENERGY.  AND I LOVE IT.  :D


No comments:

Post a Comment