Thursday, March 31, 2011

Double Rainbow...and a stroke of good luck?!

Alright. Yesterday was an incredible day because I witnessed a DOUBLE RAINBOW! (For all the don't understand this reference, just do a youtube search for 'double rainbow' and click the one that has millions of hits.) Now for all those who have been keeping up with my blog from the beginning of my abroad adventures, you'll know that I was encountering a stroke of bad luck upon arrival here in Germany. I was getting over the flu and then diagnosed with bronchitis, I was ripped off when I bought my cell phone, and I left my brand new grammar book on the bus and had to go buy a new one the next day. Well, I think that this sighting of the double rainbow yesterday evening was a turning point in my luck! Examples: this morning I went for a long run, and it didn't start raining until I was literally walking back into my dorm building. AND, when I was walking over the bridge to get back to my building, I was taking off my iPod armband and pulled my key out of it so I'd be ready to get in my door, and i DROPPED MY KEY! Now the bridge is over a big river, and the bridge is made of this metal material in kind of a grid shaped pattern, meaning the whole thing is crevices. So my key fell and my heart stopped, but the key landed straight in exactly the right position that it didn't fall through any of the crevices. There was a group of elderly people in front of me watching with wide eyes as the key fell and they all released a sigh of relief just as I did when the key was safe.

NOW I know this doesn't seem like much, but it's the little signs, you know?? Cause if that key had not landed perfectly, it would've fallen in the river never to be seen again, and I'm about to leave for ten days on a trip, so who knows when I would be able to get a new one! So back home, made a late breakfast, waiting to skype, watching the rain fall outside the window lalala. I didn't have to take the oral part of the DSH since I didn't pass the first part...but only 6 out of the 19 of us who took it passed, so keine Sorgen!

Currently facing a packing dilemma. As I might've already said, I'm going to be gone for 9 days, and I can only take a little carry on suitcase with me. It's supposed to rain all day in Koeln tomorrow, and weather doesn't look too great for Amsterdam either, and Istanbul is supposed to be quite cold which I was a bit surprised about. So I don't really know what to pack. All I know is that I can't pack a lot and I'm just going to be going "Euro-backpacker" here and wearing the same clothes every day. Thankfully I've got enough underwear to last me that long though! :D

We're hopping on the 8:13am train to Duesseldorf tomorrow morning. I'd say I'm getting pretty excited, it's going to be a total adventure, something I haven't had in a while! We've got a solid group and we've been hanging out all week so we've gotten that much closer with each other so we'll be good to share hostels and such (and will most likely be ready to kill each other by the end up the trip!)



1 comment: