Tuesday, December 31, 2013

You're gonna hear me roar (here's to 2014)

When Katy Perry's single "Roar" came out several months ago, I honestly was not a fan of the song and actually found it quite annoying.  I still find the song kind of annoying, but the lyrics fit my mentality for 2014.

"I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath
scared to rock the boat and make a mess.
So I sat quietly, agreed politely.
I guess that I forgot I had a choice
I let you push me past the breaking point
I stood for nothing, so I fell for everything."



2013 was basically a year of me being that person described in the song.  I lacked any agency in my decisions and in my life and was forgetting about my own happiness.  A number of events, the main one being what I alluded to in my last post, have provided me with a wake up call and my goal for this new year is to be a stronger individual, focusing on my own goals and dreams and aspirations and just being a good friend, but also staying aware of my own mental and emotional well-being.  I went from being completely numb the first half of the year to being an emotional crying train-wreck the second half of the year and both of those versions of me were terrible.

During these last few weeks at home I've been so surrounded by love and warmth from family and my oldest friends and have realized how much I have to be thankful for, and that because I'm blessed in so many ways, I owe it to the people in my life who have helped me grow to be the best version of myself and be happy and appreciate all the wonderful things in my life, even if sometimes it's wicked hard to be away from Boston and even from Virginia.  I've got a wonderful group of friends in my new home in Nashville though, and so many things coming up to work towards like a brand new semester and the Nashville marathon at the end of April.  This year is about me refocusing my priorities and just being the best version of myself.

So, to 2013 I say good riddance, but I guess thank you for the learning experiences.  And here's to a wonderful 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment