Wednesday, January 23, 2013

For the Record…It’s wicked hard to ride a bike in the snow


I have learned this and a few other things since the winter weather has plagued Germany over the last few weeks.  Before the New Year, Münster was hit only with a few inches and a couple other dustings—snowfalls that brought cheer to the faces of children and adults alike, creating quite picturesque scenes for the Christmas Markets.
2013 started out actually quite warm, but also quite dark.  There was a cloud covering over the entire region that blocked any rays of sunshine, but also blocked any extreme temperatures.  It remained in the high 40s no matter what time of day, which was quite pleasant despite the lack of sun.  A couple weeks into January, Münster received its first rays of sunshine—pedestrians stopped in their tracks to stare up and squint their eyes at the foreign light. 
Unfortunately though, with the sunshine came the drop of about twenty degrees in temperatures and snowfall upon snowfall upon snowfall.  Having spent the last four years in Boston, I am no stranger to extreme snowfalls and quite cold winters, but it’s getting a little ridiculous here.  At BC, we were quite spoiled during the winter, because we had amazing snow services that cleared up the paths right away (and actually last winter, we barely got any snow at all).
Münster on the other hand, does not have such services.  The main roads get plowed, but all of the side roads remain covered in a brown and disgusting slushy mess.  I’ve mentioned that Münster is the German capital of bikes, so the bike lanes remain clear for the most part, but because for about a week, it snowed every day (and the lack of sunlight prevented any of it from melting, along with the sub-freezing temperatures) the bike lanes have been reduced to tracks not much wider than the bike tire itself.  Luckily, my commute to school is less than ten minutes via bike, mostly along one main road, so I haven’t had too many problems, but it’s still quite a pain.

Aasee iced over and covered with snow
But of course the snow can be quite pretty
My iPhone 5 finally arrived from the States last week but because the value was so much, I had to go to the customs office to retrieve it.  This office was in the outskirts of the city where all the factories and industries are (a part of the city I didn’t even know existed!)  The buses didn’t go there, so I decided to take my bike…the day after it snowed half a foot.  This was the day I learned you can’t ride a bike on snow.  Once the tire touches the slush, it literally just slips out from under you—so I basically felt like I was trekking through the Arctic Tundra just to retrieve my freakin’ phone.

You all can tell I made a pretty big change when deciding on a new case...
 I don’t hate snow but I’m definitely not a fan of it, and it’s starting to get pretty annoying, but I just keep telling myself that as we approach the end of January, the worst of it is hopefully over—already noticing the days getting longer anyhow!
Because of this incessant snowfall though, I had to take matters into my own hands and join a gym because I couldn’t continue training if the weather was going to remain so cold and unpredictable.  My roommate goes to the gym next door but it’s quite expensive which is why I didn’t join when I first moved here, but I decided to suck it up and just spend the fifty euro per month.  It’s quite a nice gym and as I said, a three minute walk next door, so I never have an excuse not to go.
I’ve been a member for a week now and am so happy with my decision to join.  I can run whenever I need to, rather than having to be a slave to the weather, and I can go to spinning and body fit classes, as well as finally use weights again.  I haven’t been a member of a gym since I was at BC, because I decided not to pay to use the Plex over the summer, and I forgot how much I love it.
Working out again combined with drinking less has really put this year off to a positive start.  I am getting over a cold that I caught this weekend, but otherwise, I just feel absolutely fantastic and don’t have an irresistible urge to consume chocolate every second of every day.
Joining the gym has also helped me integrate more into German language and Germany itself.  Around November and December I wasn’t really speaking much German at all and only hanging out with English speakers, so one of my New Year’s Resolutions was to be involved in more German, no matter what it was.  I’ve been speaking more German at school actually, and chatting with my roommate more (especially since he helped me with the process of joining the gym) and now I’m surrounded by Germans speaking German at the gym.  Even when I run on the treadmill (Laufband), there are multiple televisions in front of me broadcasting German news headlines. 
As part of my membership, I have to do this Check-Up appointment, where I meet with a trainer and get a card for workouts and my body type and all that jazz.  What I find most interesting about sports and activity between Americans and Germans (and Europeans in general) is that Germans love playing sports together.  It seems everyone is involved in some kind of sport, no matter what age and no matter what level, but “working out” is not as popular.  This weekend I met another assistant from Ireland and he was telling me how he really wants to travel to America especially because working out is like a culture there.  Those were his exact words.  And I stopped to think about it and realized he makes a valid point.  I don’t have a lot of friends that are involved in actual sports teams or clubs, everyone just works out at the gym or runs.  Americans are very independent in their fitness endeavors, whereas Germans are much more social.  That came up during my appointment today, because the trainer was asking me what kind of sports I did, and I had to explain how I don’t actually play any sports, but work out a ton, and run five times a week.  He didn’t really understand that I didn’t actually play sports, but that I still considered myself quite fit and active because of all the running I do.
Just another example of an interesting cultural difference!
To end, here’s a preview of what I’ll be donning for Karvenal celebrations in a few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment