Friday, April 15, 2011

Yeah...it's Thursday

I may not get to my Istanbul post till this weekend because we had to plan our Easter trip to Austria this afternoon which took a while, and then I had some other errands to do... but I just wanted to post about last night!

So as I said, I've got an internship at the DAI, so I work two days for three hours each, along with working at one evening event. Katherine, Monika, and I all worked at the Ernie Watts jazz quartet concert (he's got a Wikipedia page!) I got there first and helped bartend before the concert started. So, four days before my 21st birthday, I got to sell beer and wine to German people! And I did it all in German which made it even cooler! It's not too hard to say "Was trinken Sie gern?" and then to understand "Bier, Pils, Becks, Rotwein, Weiswein, etc" but I was still excited about it. And then my director asked me what I wanted to drink and I said nothing, and then he was like "Yeah, well there's nothing in the closet!" pointing to the fridge with all the beers.

So throughout the concert, we all had a few drinks, for free! And I've gotta say jazz is a lot more awesome with a few drinks in you. It's already great, but it's even better with a few drinks. And the quartet was absolutely fantastic! We had to leave a bit early though to go to the international students' party at a big bar/club near the DAI. We had a good turnout from our program, and we were all pretty buzzed, and did some BC jager shots, and then a tequila shot after and just danced the night away until after 1am! The place got sooo crowded, there were probably 200 people there.

And as my post title says, yeah...it's Thursday. All of this on a Thursday night! None of us has class on Fridays so it's not a big deal, but I'm sure people do have classes on Friday, and here's the university putting on a giant party! Back at BC, people just throw parties in their apartments or you just gather with friends and drink, but German housing isn't really set up for that (my apartment has no common area except the kitchen) so there are always tons of parties and clubs and special bar nights and concerts happening every weekend and that's where all the students go. Pros and cons to both, but it's fun to experience something to different from BC!

No comments:

Post a Comment